Monday, February 9, 2009

A New Idea

Things have been a little busy around my house lately but what is new with that? I love going to my children's events and will miss it so very much when they are gone from the house. Luckily I have a few more years before that happens! So for now, I am enjoying the music lessons, sports practices, games, and competitions.

I have been thinking a lot about my parents and in-laws recently. My dad is the only one left and it makes me sad. My parents had me later in life and they grew up in a much different environment that I have. They both lived through the depression without much. Because of that, they saved EVERYTHING and reused EVERYTHING. I think it is interesting how the following generations have become the total opposite and has been THROW AWAY generations. I am a mix of both. I definitely don't keep everything my parents did but I reuse a lot of things. Recycling, reducing waste, and reusing have become an environmental issue (an important one), but now I think people are looking at using things differently more because of economic reasons.

I have been an artist and crafter my entire life. That is just a part of me. Take that and add in my parents, I tend to look at things a little differently than some. For example, I look at an old watch and think about how I can take all the gears out make some interesting jewelry. That plastic display that is frosted on the back can be cut down into panels and a modern looking lampshade is born. My favorite jeans that are worn out and honestly too small would be great for a lining of a purse I was thinking about making with all that great clearance yarn I have downstairs! To tell you the truth sometimes I think it scares my family & friends on how my mind works. Nothing is safe.

So. . . . I have an idea and would like your opinion. I am thinking about writing a book about transforming discard items into great new things. Basically, writing down my ART items I have made and the ones still in my head. Ann's Recycled Treasures (my initials also). I have a small project in Bead Unique magazine currently, so that has given me a boost. It is a great feeling to go into a bookstore and see a magazine on their shelves and open it up and see your name and project in it. This would be a huge step for me.

Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Ann, thanks so much for your very uplifting comment on my blog. The cat was 'Red' a stray that I took in and he was 14 when he passed . I have 3 others now, but he was my 'boy'.
    Your idea of a book about 'recycled treasures' is a really good one. We artists/crafters do tend to save everything. I love the way you make jewelry, beautiful and so creative, I meant to tell you that the first time I came onto your blog. Do you ever sell on etsy? If not I think you should, your creations are as good if not better than most there.
    Barbra joan

    ReplyDelete